Alcohol is a habit forming drug and there is a higher chance of slipping into addiction after experimental use. Alcohol use is associated with higher risk of cancers and other lifestyle diseases . Consuming alcohol during pregnancy is dangerous to the baby.
Frequently asked questions by those who already use alcohol is regarding the quantity that is safe. While alcohol use doesn’t offer any proven benefits, here is what is the common scientific consensus on quantity of alcohol to limit the risk associated with use.
1. Weekly alcohol use should be less than 14 units per week (one unit being 10 ml of ethanol 100 ml of a 10 percent drink has 10 ml of alcohol – Do your own math based on the drink you prefer).
2. Spread the quantity over few days rather than taking it on one go to minimize risk of accidents and other side effects.
Answer the following questions to know if you addicted to alcohol ?
- Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?
- Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?
- Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (eye-opener)?
If your answer is yes for three or more of the above questions, seek professional help.
Leave a Reply