With increasing awareness, a greater proportion of children are getting diagnosed early. Children with ADHD can present with very difficult behaviours. They can be helped by providing a combination of a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet and activity.
Children with ADHD can become easily frustrated because of their poor attention span and high energy levels.
Here are a few tips that can help.
1. Give simple instructions: Instructions have to be explicit, provided by looking directly at them, it is better if the tone is warm and soothing rather than in a threatening, commanding tone.
2. Praise your child: Small or big, every accomplishment should be reinforced by praise.
3. Chunk the tasks: Break any task, like doing homework or sitting at the dining table, into smaller time spans such as 15-20 minutes.
4. Dedicated exercise/activity time: Create opportunities for the child to spend their energy like basketball, swimming.
5. Improved Diet: Keep the diet nutritious and avoid additives and sugars.