Good practices that help us fall asleep are collectively termed sleep hygiene.
- Have a consistent sleep time even on weekends.
- Avoid caffeine and other stimulants after noon and schedule mild activity/exercise in the evening.
- Cue yourself with light and dark – sunlight in the morning, a walk in the evening around sunset.
- Avoid screen time one hour before sleep time. Keep the bedroom dark.
- Troubled by thoughts, plans for the next day? – Dump them on a Journal
Have you tried our free screener to assess sleep quality?
Additional Resources :
Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams
The first of its kind written by a scientific expert, Professor Matthew Walker explores 20 years of cutting-edge research to solve the mystery of why sleep matters. Looking at creatures from across the animal kingdom as well as major human studies, Why We Sleep delves into everything from what really happens during REM sleep to how caffeine and alcohol affect sleep and why our sleep patterns change across a lifetime, transforming our appreciation of the extraordinary phenomenon that safeguards our existence.
Science and Practice of Perfecting Sleep: Dr. Matthew Walker in conversation with Dr.Andew Huberman
Have some thoughts on sleep ? Share in the comments section.